Access to Educational Options for All Students
Providing valuable high-quality education options for low-income students through privately funded scholarship programs.
Tax-credit scholarships are one of the fastest growing school choice programs. These programs incentivize individuals and businesses to donate to nonprofit organizations that provide tuition scholarships to eligible students. When making donations, donors receive a tax credit from the state—often a 100 percent, dollar-for-dollar credit. Through this process, tax-credit scholarship programs use entirely private funds to offer private school scholarships to families.
Today, there are 21 such programs operating across the country, with the majority designed specifically to help low-income students access high-quality education options. A growing body of research shows that these programs are effective at boosting the academic results of participating students and students who remain in public schools, provide participating students with long-term results like college attendance, and save money for state and local taxpayers.
ExcelinEd promotes the expansion of tax-credit scholarship programs in states as a way for parents to select the best schools to meet their children’s needs.
About Federal 529 Plan Changes
The federal government has expanded 529 college savings plans to include qualified expenses for elementary and secondary education (public, private or religious). In doing so, educational opportunity has increased for families across the country. Now, in addition to using account funds for college expenses, a family can choose to use up to $10,000 annually toward qualified K-12 expenses. Learn more:
Recent Tax-Credit Scholarships News and Blogs
- What to Make of Louisiana Voucher Research?
- #FactFriday: 65 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court declared segregation in public schools unconstitutional
- Indiana Families, Students Benefit with Strong Policies Approved by Gov. Holcomb, Policymakers
- #FactFriday: 70K kids use private education choice programs for students with special needs
- ICYMI: Two Great Podcasts on Choice in Florida
- Three Out of Four of Alabama Voters Want Choice in Education
- #FactFriday: Florida Tax Credit Scholarships Boost College Enrollment and Attainment
- More Evidence: Florida Tax Credit Scholarships Boost College Enrollment and Attainment
- #AskExcelinEd: Is school choice worth the struggle?
- #AskExcelinEd: What does National School Choice Week mean to you?