Access to Educational Options for All Students
Providing valuable high-quality education options for low-income students through privately funded scholarship programs.
Tax-credit scholarships are one of the fastest growing school choice programs. These programs incentivize individuals and businesses to donate to nonprofit organizations that provide tuition scholarships to eligible students. When making donations, donors receive a tax credit from the state—often a 100 percent, dollar-for-dollar credit. Through this process, tax-credit scholarship programs use entirely private funds to offer private school scholarships to families.
Today, there are 21 such programs operating across the country, with the majority designed specifically to help low-income students access high-quality education options. A growing body of research shows that these programs are effective at boosting the academic results of participating students and students who remain in public schools, provide participating students with long-term results like college attendance, and save money for state and local taxpayers.
ExcelinEd promotes the expansion of tax-credit scholarship programs in states as a way for parents to select the best schools to meet their children’s needs.
About Federal 529 Plan Changes
The federal government has expanded 529 college savings plans to include qualified expenses for elementary and secondary education (public, private or religious). In doing so, educational opportunity has increased for families across the country. Now, in addition to using account funds for college expenses, a family can choose to use up to $10,000 annually toward qualified K-12 expenses. Learn more:
Recent Tax-Credit Scholarships News and Blogs
- VIDEO: Why should you attend #EIE18? Governor Jeb Bush has the answer.
- #EIE18 Registration Closes in 7 Days!
- A Quick Look at Tax-Credit Scholarships
- Survey Says: Parents Value Tax-Credit Scholarships
- #AskExcelinEd: 12 Can’t-Miss Conversations at #EIE18
- ExcelinEd’s Opportunity Learning Hub Provides Quick, Efficient Way to Learn About Educational Options
- Check out the Opportunity Learning Hub!
- In defense of the Alabama Accountability Act
- Alabama School Choice Participants Outperforming Peers
- That’s a Wrap! Our Final #AskExcelinEd Summer Learning Series Post