Washington, D.C. – Today, ExcelinEd launched KnowYourFloridaSchool.org, a model online school report card that serves as a prototype for states seeking to empower and inform parents and communities with transparent, understandable school data. As states work to implement the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), KnowYourFloridaSchool.org is a real-world, replicable example of how states can reinvent school reporting and better communicate a variety of school-level data to parents.
“Transparent, user-friendly school report cards are a vital tool to empower parents with school data and the information they need to engage proactively with school leaders on behalf of their child. A school report card not only supports accountability requirements in ESSA, it also spurs improved school performance to ensure all children receive a quality education.” – Patricia Levesque, ExcelinEd CEO
Making Data Parent-Friendly
From student performance and school information to the details of Florida’s school grades, KnowYourFloridaSchool.org uses real data to put information about more than 3,000 local schools into context. It demonstrates how a user-friendly, online report card can help parents easily access, understand and utilize valuable school data. Highlights include:
- “Parent empowerment statements” on each school page encourage parents to start conversations about their child’s education with teachers and principals.
- Dynamic search and comparison features make it easy for users to find and compare schools.
- Mobile-friendly design promotes widespread access and encourages social media and email sharing so parents can access school information anytime, anywhere.
Providing a Template and Resources for States
KnowYourFloridaSchool.org supports state implementation of ESSA by providing a real-world example of school-level accountability data presented in a parent-friendly format.
- The prototype is built using open source code, meaning the code powering the tool is available free online.
- Open source code allows developers at state education agencies to use KnowYourFloridaSchool.org as a framework to build their own online school report card, customized to fit that state’s accountability system and with potential cost-savings to taxpayers.
- Know Your School Project has resources to support state implementation, which are featured on the site, including a series of case studies providing insights and best practices based on ExcelinEd’s work developing the prototype.
The Know Your School Project is a result of ExcelinEd’s My School Information Design Challenge, which was one of the first efforts to address the ongoing challenge for states on how to improve their data reporting and community engagement. The winners of the design challenge, Collaborative Communications Group and Social Driver, partnered with the Jacksonville Public Education Fund and ExcelinEd to create Know Your Florida School, bringing the project full circle.