State Communications Manager
Position Available: State Communications Manager
Reports To: Deputy Director of State Communications
Category: Full-time, salaried, at-will employee
Location: Tallahassee, FL
The State Communications Manager develops and implements a comprehensive, multi-faceted communications program to educate stakeholders and promote state-driven policies for education reform. The Manager focuses on regional communications and policy actions, providing support for communications initiatives in states across the nation. Duties include writing and disseminating press releases and media statements; responding to press inquiries; producing social media content; assisting with publications development; developing and managing state communications plans and campaigns; and assisting with outreach activities and stakeholder engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement communications strategies to support state-based advocacy work.
- Write and edit communications materials under strict deadlines. Items may include press releases, media advisories, talking points, quotes, blogs, social media, op-eds and web content.
- Monitor statewide and national media and compile relevant news reports for staff.
- Produce communications plans supporting advocacy work.
- Assist in maintaining a database of grassroots contacts and promoting personal stories of reform and the impact of reform policies.
- Ensure website content accurately and effectively showcases state work and achievement.
- Generating ideas for original social media content to support state-based advocacy work and working with staff to execute them.
- Support communications needs for the Foundation’s annual summit.
- Collaborate with colleagues and partners to set timelines, manage review processes, manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Frequent and effective coordination with the organization’s state advocacy directors, policy directors and communications team is required for success.
- Minimum of two years of communications experience in an advocacy, non-profit, political, government or corporate setting, with significant writing responsibilities.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, political science or other relevant area of study.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience with AP style.
- Experience in drafting press releases, social media content and related marketing materials.
- Ability to travel to represent the organization or facilitate meetings as requested.
- Proven ability as a self-starter and collaborative team member.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft environment.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks while meeting deadlines and achieving a high degree of accuracy.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of communications, media relations, public relations and marketing.
- Experience pitching stories and developing strong relations with traditional and new media outlets.
- Proven ability to develop communication plans to achieve project goals.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience using various social media channels and a vision for using them strategically to reach key stakeholder audiences.
- Experience with paid and earned media campaigns.
- Knowledge and understanding of state and federal policymaking processes and political environments.
- Experience with on-the-record media relations.
- Experience working with elected or appointed officials and senior-level staff.
- Experience with digital and social media advertising a plus.
- Experience with basic video and photography equipment is a plus
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three writing samples (three different types of writing, including but not limited to: press releases, communications plans, media advisories, open letters, etc.) to Carrie@Excelined.org. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.