Policy Director, Digital Equity
Position Available: Policy Director, Digital Equity
Category: Full-time, salaried, at-will employee
The Policy Director, Digital Equity, serves as a member of the ExcelinEd Policy Division, which works to advance student-centered education policy across the country, including early literacy, assessment and accountability, education funding, education to workforce and education opportunity.
As states grapple with the challenge of supporting schools, students and families in a time of pandemic and intense educational disruption, ExcelinEd is committed to helping state policymakers identify student-centered policy solutions for the long term. The Policy Director, Digital Equity is a new position and represents a unique opportunity to expand ExcelinEd’s portfolio of policies to include those that can help states ensure access to and equity in high-quality distance learning. These solutions may encompass the needed technical infrastructure in states (devices & connectivity, student information & learning management systems), high-quality instructional resources, and support or resources for teachers, administrators, students and families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Vice President of Policy, directs and manages the development of a suite of policy solutions, toolkits and resources to help states close the digital divide.
- Conducts state and federal policy analyses and educates state policymakers and leaders about best practices, trends in state policymaking and current research.
- Supports policy directors, associates and analysts in identifying priority policy targets, designing policy adaptation strategies and preparing policy work plans accordingly.
- Reviews, analyzes and presents on legislation and executive rules. Provides expert testimony, where needed.
- Supports the organization’s technical publications and research agenda, including but not limited to, authoring and editing content.
- Writes white papers, reports, articles, issue briefs and memos about a range of innovation-related K-12 policy issues and best practices; provides recommendations and develops strategies, as needed.
- Leads and participates in workshops, convenings, cohorts and other events to support the organization’s thought leadership strategies and advancement of quality-related policies.
- Directs content and programming for policy convenings to support digital equity and other K-12 policies, as needed.
- Designs strategy session content and programming for the annual National Summit on Education.
- Provides technical and project guidance and support to ExcelinEd teams, including communications, development, advocacy, policy and executive leadership.
- Experience in public policy development and implementation, preferably in an area related to educational technology, state or federal policy (e.g., e-rate), online learning or similar area.
- Experience managing a range of projects or similar initiatives, such as research activities, report publications, and convenings or workshops.
- Ability to work on multiple projects, work within tight deadlines and prioritize work as necessary
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Strong client management, organizational and teamwork skills.
- Proven supervisory and employee management skills.
- Ability to self-direct, exercise independent judgment and appropriately apply organizational policies and procedures.
- General understanding of political and legislative processes.
- Ability to travel, as needed. (Note: ExcelinEd staff are not currently traveling due to the COVID-19 pandemic.)
The position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science or related field. Seven-10 years of experience in education technology, K-12 education policy, and/or education program management preferred.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Carrie Jenkins at Carrie@ExcelinEd.org. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.