Position Available: Policy Analyst
Category: Full-time, salaried, at-will employee
Location: Washington, D.C. or Tallahassee, Florida
The Policy Analyst serves as a member of the ExcelinEd Policy Team, responsible for supporting the Foundation’s full policy agenda and priorities. In this capacity, the Policy Analyst works with Policy Team leadership and policy experts to help states build and implement policies that promote educational choice, quality and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating with the Foundation’s Advocacy Associates to analyze state legislation and/or rules related to the organization’s policy priorities (educational choice, quality and innovation).
- Monitoring, tracking and analyzing federal legislation related to the organization’s policy priorities.
- Conducting literature reviews and scans of existing state laws and relevant educational policies to identify priority state policies and inform the development of state work plans.
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative data to inform policy analysis, development and advocacy.
- Supporting Policy Team data entry, review and accuracy into the Foundation’s state engagement tracking system (“State Log”).
- Supporting and coordinating with the Foundation’s Data Transformation Manager to collect, analyze and visualize policy outcome and impact data.
Briefings and “Fast Facts”
- Developing policy products, such as briefings, talking points and PowerPoint decks, for multiple audiences, including policymakers, donors and advocacy partners.
- Assisting in the preparation of briefing documents for senior staff and the Board of Directors.
- Assisting the communications team by supplying facts and data and writing and editing communications pieces for policy information and accuracy.
- Responding to email questions and comments from policymakers, their staff and other partners.
General Policy Team Support
- Developing and managing timelines and production of Policy Team white papers, research papers and other projects and grant deliverables with internal staff and external vendors.
- Assisting in the development of the agenda for the annual National Summit on Education Reform, state summits and other policy events.
- Supporting the Vice President of Policy and National Director of Policy with division administration.
- Strong written and communication skills
- Ability to manage and work on multiple projects, work within tight deadlines and prioritize work as necessary
- Strong organizational and teamwork skills
- General understanding of political and legislative processes
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and appropriately apply organizational policies and procedures
- Ability to travel, as needed.
The position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Political Science or similar; Master’s degree or Juris Doctor preferred. Experience in K-12 education policy at a state executive, legislative or district level or with a foundation or institute preferred but not required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter Carrie@Excelined.org. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.