Policy Analyst Intern
Position Available: Policy Analyst Intern
Reports to: Florida Policy Director
Category: Internship, 10-12 weeks summer (June-August), non-exempt, part-time, paid
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
The Foundation for Excellence in Education (ExcelinEd) is a non-profit 501C3 whose vision is to build an education system that maximizes every student’s potential for learning and prepares all students for success in the 21st century. Launched by former Governor Jeb Bush in 2008, ExcelinEd’s unique contribution is working with decision makers on developing and implementing reform policies. We are a hands-on, how-to organization that provides model legislation, rule-making expertise, implementation strategies, and public outreach. Our staff has years of experience working with state and local governments, legislative bodies, in the classroom, and with the media.
The Policy Analyst internship is a great opportunity for a graduate student to conduct research with support from one of the top education policy teams in the nation, learn from experts about state and federal policies affecting school accountability, school choice, and educational innovation, and impact education policies that will ultimately affect thousands of students and families across the nation.
The intern will have the opportunity to work alongside professionals across the organization, build his/her professional networks through gatherings within and outside the organization, meet with senior staff, and present his/her project(s) at the end of the internship.
Examples of Activities
- Analyze state and federal datasets to evaluate the impact ExcelinEd’s reform policies are having on student outcomes to inform policy development and advocacy.
- Conduct research on a variety state and federal education issues to support policy team projects and advocacy team efforts.
- Identify and analyze recent reports and studies related to ExcelinEd’s priorities. Synthesize and present these materials in a clear, concise and readable way.
- Assist with content and research preparation for the National Summit on Education Reform.
- Draft blog posts, fact sheets, reports, infographics, and other materials used to inform policymakers and the public.
- Attend education related conferences/briefings either in-person or online. Summarize and brief policy and advocacy staff on the content of the events.
- Research, create, edit and format briefing materials for the policy division.
- A strong interest and knowledge of education policy and reform.
- Proven research and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner both written and orally.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple concurrent assignments, tasks and projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently and be flexible.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Graduate student enrolled in a degree program in education policy, public policy, economics, early childhood education, law or related field preferred.
Please submit your resume to Cari@ExcelinEd.org. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.