EdPolicy Leaders Online offers a course to explore why the American education system is greatly in need of reform and to introduce how five key reform efforts can improve student opportunities and outcomes. This free, self-paced course, Securing Our Nation’s Future: The Urgent Need for Education Reform, introduces the following proven policies:
- Accountability and Higher Standards
- Fewer and Better Assessments
- Comprehensive K-3 Reading Policy
- School Choice
- Teacher Effectiveness
Over the next few weeks, we will be sharing an exclusive sneak peek into this introductory course. (Remember, you can get full course content by enrolling today!) This week, we’re highlighting the need for accountability and higher standards.
The purpose of a school accountability system is to increase student performance by providing transparent, objective information to parents, educators and the public about school effectiveness to spur improvement. An effective accountability system has numerous components, including the need for high and rigorous standards.
Other course videos include insights from state and national leaders, including:
- Patricia Levesque, CEO, Foundation for Excellence in Education
- Joel Klein, Co-Chair, U.S. Education Reform and National Security Independent Task Force
- Gray Tollison, State Senator, Mississippi
- Kevin Huffman, Former Commissioner of Education, Tennessee
- John White, State Superintendent of Education, Louisiana
- John King, Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of Education
- Kate Walsh, President, National Council on Teacher Quality
- Derrell Bradford, Executive Director, NYCAN
Enroll now for access to all course content, including the complete library of our exclusive videos!
Want to hear what real-life policymakers and education leaders think of EdPolicy Leaders Online? Check out these posts:
- Rhode Island Ed Leader: What I Learned from EdPolicy Leaders Online
- EdPolicy Leaders Online: Meet Lauren Heiger
- EdPolicy Leaders Online: Meet Shelly Larson
- EdPolicy Leaders Online: Meet Tony Shivers
About the author
Samantha is the Policy Coordinator for the Foundation for Excellence in Education’s new initiative, EdPolicy Leaders Online. Before joining ExcelinEd, Samantha served as an advocacy intern for the Foundation for Florida's Future while simultaneously pursuing her master's in Public Administration from Florida State University. Samantha has also served as a teaching assistant for international schools in England and Switzerland. She received her bachelor's degree in Education from the University of Central Florida in 2012.