I am deeply concerned for the countless Florida students and their families who need access to in-person learning.
Over the last few weeks, I have talked with several parents who are worried their children won’t have access to the in-person instruction they need to be successful.
That fear is now closer to reality because the teacher’s union recently sued the state – and won – to keep schools from opening five days a week.
Their lawsuit hurts students who NEED in person instruction – whether they are very young children, students with special needs or those whose parents must work outside the home.
I believe parents know what environment would work best for their child.
If you agree that Florida parents should have the option to send their children back to school, I hope you will join me in signing and sharing this petition.
About the Florida Department of Education’s executive order on school reopening:
- The department’s executive order ensures that educationally at-risk students have a guaranteed spot in their classroom if they wish to return to the classroom.
- The order DOES NOT mandate that all students must return to the classroom — that decision is up to the child’s parents.
- The order does require districts to provide options to parents.
- The order encourages school districts to seek the advice of public health experts at the Florida Department of Health and local health departments when making reopening decisions.
- The order protects a family’s right to choose virtual learning if they are not comfortable sending their child to school.
About the author
Patricia Levesque @levesquepat
Patricia is the Chief Executive Officer for the Foundation for Excellence in Education. She served as Governor Jeb Bush’s deputy chief of staff for education, enterprise solutions for government, minority procurement, and business and professional regulation. Previously, Patricia served six years in the Florida Legislature in the Speakers Office and as staff director over education policy. Contact Patricia at PatriciaLevesque@excelined.org